March 14, 2007

Bordeaux

Could it be that it has been practically 2 months since I've blogged? Could it be that it has been almost that long since I've knitted. I am ashamed to even call myself a knitter anymore. This won't be a knitting post.....I have some complaining to do.

February did exist........the Dickinson's almost didn't. The month of February and this first half of March has been nothing but constant yucki-ness for my family. One cold after another and the dreaded flu. Yep.....I failed to take the family in for flu shots this year. I feel like a total shmuck about it now of course. I'd also rather forget the frigid northern mid-western temperatures we've had to endure this winter. Everyday I've re-dramatized other people's horror stories to my kids about the affects of frostbite from the tid-bits of info I'd get on the daily news. Do my kids even care? Nope. Still, I've bundled them up properly - made the the sign of the cross and shooed them out the door nearly every morning to brave the below zero temps on the way to the corner bustop these past few months.

Hopefully no longer. Yesterday it hit 60 degrees. Yay- feel the warmth. Short sleave weather... Or what I like to call -a cold day in California weather. But it looks like spring will be coming to Minnesota this year afterall. I shall look forward to it without looking back......

Okay, I'll look back. But only to relive a few wonderful things that happened that I will never forget.......

.........like the evening I almost choked on a Dorito chip while opening up my e-mail to find, (from my cousins wife) a picture of their first baby ultrasound and only the words "Big News" in the subject heading. How great that was. (Not the choking part)

.......... Or the day I was at Subway ordering sandwiches for my gang - while the man in line behind me quietly handed me a "free meal" coupon saving me like five bucks. Man! Sometimes you wonder if people like that exist anymore. You know-the kind that are thinking outside of themselves for once. note to self: pay it forward.

........Then there was that morning that Amy from KnitThink brought me over some yummy homemade split-pea and ham soup. She said it was because she had made way too much....but I know better. She's thoughtful that way ....and knows I'm meat deprived.

.....Oh and I can't forget playing phone tag with my Aunt Joyful (who is every bit of happy as her name implies) Finaly we were able to talk on the phone together for the first time in almost five years. Oh that was fun. Why we don't more often....I don't know.

but to top it all off.....

About three weeks ago....(while stewing in the depths of my homesick despair.) A package arrived at my doorstep. Yes, For me. My Aunt Dora from San Jose....sent me my most favorite chocolate in the whole wide world. Bordeaux!

Now, chocolate is chocolate right???? WRONG!!

Chocolate done right for me....is Bordeaux (chocolate brown sugar buttercream) from See's Candies. (Usually only found on the west coast but sometimes can be stumbled upon at the Minnetonka Ridgedale Mall during christmas time - you've gotta time it right though)
I have to admit she took me by complete surprise. Impeccable timing. ...but Auntie Dora has always been very intuitive that way. She must have known in her heart that I needed a pick me up. Whatever the reason....... Bordeaux makes everything good again. Thanks Auntie Dora....I love you.

I've changed my mind. It was a good winter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like absolutely divine chocolate, especially if it perked you up like that! Sorry to hear how sick you've all been - I hope all that is past now.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Yum! Chocolate. I'm alway on the lookout for good chocolate! Spring isn't far off now!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! A post from you, even though I am way late in reading it because I had given up checking on you for awhile. Glad to hear the children are all better and all of your other great news!

Now to quote the movie "Titanic": "Come back...come back..."

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home